Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Oh Wait, Snow Actually Exists

On Sunday, this foreign, white powdery substance gracefully started floating to the ground. As I freaked out for a moment, I realized that I probably looked like a oddball gawking at this phenomenon out of a window... in the middle of church. To most Seattleites, this cold, flaky goodness is no more than a nuance that makes driving near impossible because of the steep hills, and lack of snow plowing. But to me, this stuff is God's gift to those who are from the Gulf of Mexico. You probably know what happened... but I will tell you anyway. I EXPERIENCED SNOW FOR THE FIRST TIME!

Now, I know that you are screaming "Texas gets snow!!!!," but notice I said "experienced" not "saw." Yes, I have seen a few flakes of snow fall from the Texas skies, but they were so feeble in comparison. In Texas, snow falls but rarely sticks, and if it does stick, it turns into slush after a few minutes. I'm not saying that the snow in Seattle is three feet deep, but the few inches we did get turned the city into a winter wonderland. Snow completely covered the streets and buildings and gracefully rested on the branches of trees. I saw more than a few snowball fights happening in the many parks around where I live. And the blustery day called for some soup making... particularly this creamy white chicken chili. Soooooo amazing! Stop whatever you are doing and make it right now. Seriously.

Unfortunately all awesomely amazing fantastical things must come to an end. Right now, my roommate's feeble attempt to make a snowman on our balcony is the only sign of frozen water anywhere. The rest is now collecting in puddles. But before you feel sorry for me, the chance of snow over the next two days is 90-100%. I see more snow angels in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment