Monday, September 19, 2011

71 degrees and no humidity


I would not trade this moment right now for anything in the world.

Location: Apartment rooftop
Time: 4:12pm
Weather: Sunny with a chance of a few wispy clouds
Music: Mumford and Sons
Drink of choice: Chai tea
Worries: When is the weather going to be like this again in SEATTLE?



If you ever get a chance like this, especially in on of the rainiest cites in the country, you have to take advantage of it because the only other way you can get vitamin D for the next five months is in the form of a pill.

This was our first FULL weekend in the apartment so in honor of that, we stayed busy all weekend. TECHNICALLY our weekend starts a little bit later in comparison to the normal college student’s. Because we have six days of class, my weekend (during a non-performance week) starts at 1:00 pm on Saturday. But it’s totally worth it. I get to read all of the Facebook statuses and tweets that describe their long nights of homework and studying. Thankfully, when I leave the ballet I only leave with achy muscles and sore feet.

Anyway, Saturday after dance was filled with grocery shopping, cleaning, and laundry. Sounds like a bummer? Don’t worry, though, I’m not a complete loser! We also had Wafflebration that night. This is basically a tradition where everyone in the PD program (professional division) at the ballet gets together and eats waffles for dinner. So all 38 of us squished into my friend Maddy’s tiny apartment and ate waffles, played Bananagrams, and had a dance party simultaneously. I am convinced that most ballerinas are fat kids trapped in skinny bodies. As for toppings for our waffles we had the classic butter and syrup as well as ice cream, Nutella, peanut butter, sprinkles, strawberries, bananas, Reses, M&Ms, whipped cream, raspberries, almonds, chocolate syrup, caramel, and chocolate chips. It was foodie heaven.  Not to mention it was so much fun to finally meet and talk to everyone outside of our “workplace”.

The next day was Nutcracker auditions. No, I did not have to audition, I just had to watch over, shush, pin numbers on, keep in line, redo hair of, 277 kids that did. While is was very tiring to play Simon Says (but we changed is to Clara Says in the spirit of Nutcracker) for the millionth time to keep a roomful of eight year olds entertained, it was neat to remember how I felt when I auditioned for Nutcracker for the first time at that age. It was then that I really figured out that I LOVED ballet. It was the first time I got to be a part of a production with all the lights, costumes, sets, dancers, and people. It was my first performance.

Well, I guess I’d better go inside, I think I have blinded people with my paleness long enough... 

No comments:

Post a Comment